The break in the gloomy weather sure has put us in a great mood! Why not keep the good mood going and treat yourself tonight? Anna from Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted this delicious recipe for Apple Crumb Cake which might be the perfect fall dessert.
What You Need:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (unsalted)
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp milk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp vegetable/canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 apples (washed, peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease/flour an 8″ pan (round or square works)
- Start making the topping by whisking together both sugars, cinnamon, salt, and flour.
- Add melted butter and mix with fork until the consistency is crumb-like and then move to the side
- Mix sliced up apples with 2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and apple cider vinegar and move to the side *tip-if the apples you are using are already pretty soft, you can leave out the apple cider vinegar*
- Now for the actual cake! Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a different bowl, whisk together milk, vanilla, oil and egg. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and put all apple slices on top of batter. Add crumb topping over the top of the apples (make sure to cover all of them!)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes then enjoy!
- One of the best parts of this dessert is it works so well as a group effort! Have one of you prepare the apples and make the topping while the other prepares the cake batter. You’re done in half the time and get to enjoy some time in the kitchen together!
- To truly make this dish spectacular, pour some warm caramel sauce over the top after it’s baked and serve with vanilla ice cream. Yum!!